Cleburne Building (Cat and Fiddle Arcade)
Richard Cleburne (1799-1864), merchant, was born in Ireland, the fourth son of Micajah Cleburne and Sarah, née Carroll. He arrived in Hobart Town about 1821 and soon had a variety of business interests. After his partnership with C. Wright was dissolved in April 1825, Cleburne built up a large trade, buying produce and selling all kinds of equipment at his store in Liverpool Street. He was responsible for opening the first direct trade between Melbourne and Hobart in the Blossom, built to his order. He was a director of the Colonial Bank in 1840-43 and an active promoter of the Derwent and Tamar Insurance Co. and later of the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. As his business enlarged he moved his warehouse to a capacious new building in Murray Street in 1840. Always an enthusiastic supporter of local manufactures, he began a soap, salt and candle industry on the Old Wharf and enlarged it in 1849.
The Building is now home to a collective of design practices; Cykel Architecture, Francis + Burne, Field Labs, Stuart Tanner Architects and Archier.
Address: Suite 3, Level 2, The Cat + Fiddle Arcade, 49 – 51 Murray St, Hobart, 7000
Open: 1 pm – 4 pm, Saturday 11 November
Highlights: Architectural office space, adaptive re-use, Gin Tasting!
Building specs: First building on site in 1840