Ever wondered where your water comes from? Join this intriguing and eerie tour of the reservoir and pump station.
The Hill Street Reservoir was built in 1883 by the Corporation of the City of Hobart (now Hobart City Council) to provide a stable and constant supply of water to the city. It is part of a complex water supply system, which includes the pipeline and aqueducts on Mt Wellington, the Ridgeway and Waterworks reservoirs and various smaller reservoirs. It now serves as a reserve water supply and firefighting back-up. The Hill Street reservoir has a maximum capacity of three mega litres, with an operating capacity of 2.25 mega litres. The main circular reservoir is 4.5 metres deep, with an additional 1.2 metres above. It is now generally fed from the twin reservoirs near the Crossroads on the Queen’s Domain.
Address: Cnr of Faraday and Hill Sts, West Hobart
Open: Pre-booked tours only, Saturday 5 November
Highlights: Go behind the scenes at one of the city’s water treatment plants
Tours: Pre-booked tours at 10am, 11am & 11.45am (30 min tours). Closed-toe shoes required. Bookings essential
Building specs: Type: Reservoir and pump station, Built: 1862, 1883, 1980, Architects: Unknown