St George’s Battery Point is one of the earliest Anglican churches in Tasmania. In 1834, a petition was presented to the Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen’s Land that a church should be built for the residents of Queenborough. The site chosen was the highest point of Battery Point, then known as Kermode’s Hill. The building of St George’s began in 1836 and was completed in 1838. The Government Architect, John Lee Archer, designed the body of the building in the Neo-Classical style; the tower was added in 1847 and the portico completed in 1888. Both these additions were designed by convict architect, James Blackburn.
In 2013, St George’s Church marked its 175th anniversary, celebrating a milestone that is both significant to the church and Tasmania’s heritage. Built in the Greek-Revival style, St George’s Church is recognised nationally with architectural, historical and spiritual significance.
The Handweavers, Spinners and Dyers Guild of Tasmania will also open their rooms on the day, there’ll be Devonshire tea available as well as tours on the hour (bookings not required).
Address: 30 Cromwell St, Battery Point TAS
Open: 10am–4pm, Saturday 11 November and 12pm-4pm Sunday 12 November
Highlights: Greek-Revivalist style church, Heritage listed
Tours: On the hour, bookings not required
Building specs: Built: 1838, Architects: John Lee Archer and James Blackburn