Though not Hobart’s first weapons depot, John Lee Archer’s 1838 Ordnance Store is certainly the city’s most prominent. Following completion of the new wharf at Salamanca in 1834, hundreds of convicts, housed in hulks moored at Sullivans Cove, quarried the cliffs behind Salamanca, cut the sandstone and built the imposing three-storey ordnance stores at Castray Esplanade, at a cost of £3500. Now heritage listed, the store is home to restaurants, cafes, galleries, studios, shops, restaurants and JAWS Architects.
Address: 21 Castray Esplanade, Hobart
Highlights: Architectural office space, adaptive re-use, from convict hulks and the Salamanca Quarry
Building specs: Type: Store. Year Built: 1832. Architect: John Lee Archer