Maylands Lodge was built between 1885 and 1887 and was designed by renowned architect Henry Hunter, for John Pearce. Pearce’s father Henry had been transported to Van Diemen’s Land for seven years for stealing and, after serving his time, began working as a market gardener, growing produce in New Town. Maylands is located there and this ‘trophy mansion’ was John’s statement of his success, aimed at stripping the label ‘son of convict’ associated with his name. The house was the Pearce family home until John passed away in 1910. Since then, the Brownell family, the Hobart Girls’ School and the Salvation Army have all been connected to Maylands. The restoration to Maylands Lodge has taken two years and involved around 50 to 60 tradesmen over the journey. Truly boutique and set within one of Tasmania’s finest heritage properties, each of the 12 rooms pays homage to the heritage of the building but also adds contemporary elements to the mix.
Address: 40 Swanston Street, New Town
Building specs: Type: Historical home/accommodation. Built: 1885-1887. Architect: Henry Hunter