In the early 1900s, Launceston had a thriving theatre scene, with thousands attending performances every weekend and the National Theatre being one of Launceston’s most visible theatres. Opening in 1915 with ‘The Silence of Dean Maitland’, it continued to operate as a theatre until 1970 when TV became king! It was purchased for a steal and given an ongoing life, now housing the workings of the printing company, Foot & Playsted. A true treasure of Launceston, much of the original theatre remains to keep our imagination of this time alive. This is a rare chance not to be missed.
Image: Brady Michaels
Address: 99 Charles St, Launceston
Highlights: Working printers and original theatre.
Building specs: Type: Original theatre with working printer and bookbinders. Built: 1915. Architect: Thomas Searell. Builder: Harry Goodluck.