Constructed in 1911 as the Philip Smith Training College, the Philip Smith Centre is an important example of ‘hygienic’ design, which valued light and ventilation. It references the gothic character of Domain House while clearly being an Arts and Crafts building, and has been maintained as a community education building since 1997.
Tours of the Philip Smith Centre will be led by architect and heritage expert Paul Johnston. The tour will provide an overview of the history of teaching teachers in Tasmania and the architecture of Rudolph Koch, a leading advocate for town planning and founding President of the Tasmanian Institute of Architects.
Address: 2 Edward Street, Glebe