This memorial honours the Polish Pioneers who settled in Launceston after World War II between 1947 and 1957. With the invaluable support of the community, these migrants were presented with many opportunities to advance themselves and create a new life in their adopted state of Tasmania.
The memorial was funded privately by the Polish Pioneers Foundation from the sale of the Dom Polski (Polish House) in 2013. The Monument itself is sited on either side of a public walkway connecting Launceston’s CBD to the Cataract George. It is positioned to encourage public engagement and interaction. Make sure to take a look at the bronze plaques located on each of the eight columns featuring educational dialogue about the monument and containing stories about who the polish pioneers were.
Download the full Open House Launceston PDF program here
Address: Kings Park, Launceston
Open: General open: 10am - 1pm, Saturday 7 September
Highlights: Monument with historical story-telling.
Tours: Talks at 10am, 11am, 12noon and 1pm
Building specs: Type: Monument. Built: 2018.
Honed Architecutre + Design