SAC comprises seven Georgian sandstone warehouses constructed between 1833 and 1855. The buildings have had many interesting tenants, including an American consul, amateur anthropologist Dr William Crowther and jam maker William Peacock. In November 1977, Tasmanian premier Bill Neilson spared the warehouses from demolition and gave them to the people of Tasmania for use as an arts centre.
Address: 77 Salamanca Place, Hobart
Building specs: Type: Warehouses. Year Built: 1833-55