This church is the oldest dated building in Launceston and harks back to 1825 when Governor Arthur laid the foundation stone of the original convict-built section of the complex. The addition to the church, by Alexander North, today merges with the original building. London’s Big Ben’s bell makers, Whitechapel, are also responsible for the bell in the church’s clock tower.
Address: 157 St John St, Launceston
Open: 10am - 2pm, Saturday 8 September
Highlights: Original convict church merging with early 20th century design, Whitechapel bell.
Tours: Pre-booked history tours at 11am and 1pm (45 min tour). Bookings essential. Level access to majority of building.
Building specs: Type: Church. Built: progressively from 1824 - early 1900s. Architect: original unkown, Alexander North.