The eight buildings that make up what is now referred to as the Treasury Building are regarded as the most significant in Tasmania’s administrative history, including the oldest Supreme Court in Australia (built 1824). Over the following century another seven buildings were constructed, including the Police and Convict Office in 1835 and Public Offices in 1841, both of which were designed by colonial architect John Lee Archer. The latter, constructed by convict James Blackburn, was the first public building to house the Treasurer of Van Diemen’s Land. The complex has also housed offices for the Attorney-General, the Chief Justice, the Premier and various government ministers. What the future holds for this important site is yet to be revealed.
Access open areas (no bookings required): 1920 Great War Honor Roll, 1860 Court House – enter via Macquarie Street. 1883 Executive Council Meeting Room – enter via Franklin Square
Address: 21 Murray Street, Hobart
Open: Tours and general open, 10 am - 4 pm, Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 November
Highlights: The Treasury and Finance Main Foyer, Executive Offices and the Vault - enter via Murray Street
Tours: Tours starting from 10 am leaving every 15 minutes (allow 45 mins each tour).
Building specs: Type: Government Building. Year: 1824. Architect: John Lee Archer
Access details: stair access, uneven surfaces, inclines and confined spaces. No pram access. Children are allowed but must be supervised at all times.