Tucked away and almost hidden on the Queen’s Domain, the historic Victoria Gunpowder Magazine was built in 1851 with vaulted ceilings and a similarly shaped basement. An extra bay was added in 1861. It was used as an explosives magazine up until 1970.
The Magazine will also be hosting an Armistice Day Exhibition: ‘Grand Illusion – Grim Reality’. See our event page for more details.
Want to see Open House Hobart city buildings quickly? Why not ride? Thanks to the Bicycle Network Tas a bike rack will be set up at this location.
Bike racks will be set at 3 locations across the city:
- Royal Tennis Club
- Victoria Gunpowder Magazine
- Princes Park Magazine
Address: Carriage Drive and Upper Domain Road, Queen’s Domain
Highlights: Live cannon and musket firings!
Building specs: Type: Gunpowder Magazine. Year Built: 1851. Architect: Unknown