The Anglican Church has continuously occupied this Grosvenor Street site since 1918, when the bluestone 1863 Mariner’s Church was relocated here from the Hobart waterfront.
The Mariner’s Church was located where the Marine Board Building now stands, its striking clock providing the correct time for people on the wharves. Shifted block by block to its new Sandy Bay home adjacent to a timber hall, it now sits within a multi-functional piece of contemporary ecclesiastical architecture that is a purposeful departure from the formal qualities of the original buildings. Where the old buildings are visually heavy and inwardly focussed, the new Wellspring Church complex links all the buildings under one light-filled canopy, incorporating a state-of-the-art 300-seat auditorium.
Address: 45-47 Grosvenor Street, Sandy Bay
Highlights: Heritage church, sensitive redevelopment
Building specs: Type: Churches. Year Built: 1863, 2013. Architects: Henry Hunter, 1 plus 2 Architects