Find answers to your questions about everything related to Open House Hobart and Launceston.
What is Open House Hobart?Toggle What is Open House Hobart?
Open House Hobart is a free, citywide celebration of architecture, urban design, and our built environment. Every November, buildings and projects – from infrastructure facilities to cultural spaces, work spaces to private residences – open their doors to the public for tours and talks with architects, urban designers, historians, preservationists, and city leaders.
The 2023 Open House Hobart program has a weekend of buildings to explore on 11 – 12 November, and there are a number of events that are held either side of this. Check the dates on each listing.
Is Open House Hobart free?Toggle Is Open House Hobart free?
Yes, all building opens and tours across the Open House Hobart weekend are free. Some of the fringe events either side of the weekend have cover charges, but these are marked clearly on each event page.
What if I have booked tours and can no longer attend?Toggle What if I have booked tours and can no longer attend?
No problem! If you are no long able to attend your booked tour or event, we would really appreciate you cancelling your tickets so other people can book and enjoy the Open House Hobart program. Find your original booking email confirmation (www.architecture.com.au) and cancel through the links. If you have any issues, please contact us directly.
Can I reserve tickets for more than one tour?Toggle Can I reserve tickets for more than one tour?
Yes, you can reserve tickets for as many tours as you’d like, but you will be required to register for each tour separately and list full contact details of each individual attending. You may reserve up to two tickets per tour in one transaction. Note that the demand for reservations is immense, and spots are limited. Please make allowances for tours to run slightly over time, and for travel time between buildings.
Be considerate of others when booking – we want as many people as possible to be able to experience all that Open House Hobart has to offer!
When is the Open House Hobart weekend and when will you release the program for this year's event?Toggle When is the Open House Hobart weekend and when will you release the program for this year's event?
The Open House Hobart weekend is an annual festival that takes place every November. The eleventh Open House Hobart will be held on Saturday 11 and Sunday 12 November 2023. Tickets to buildings and tours that require bookings will open at 10 am AEDT on Thursday 19 October 2023.
A number of events take place either side of the Open House Hobart weekend – check the details on each listing on the website.
How do I sign up to volunteer?Toggle How do I sign up to volunteer?
Open House Hobart isn’t possible without our dedicated volunteers! To learn more about volunteer commitments and benefits, please email us.
How can I enter the Open House Hobart photography competition?Toggle How can I enter the Open House Hobart photography competition?
Each year Open House Hobart invites the public to capture images over the weekend and enter shots into our photo competition via our Instagram hashtag #oh_hobart. It’s a fun and easy way to get involved, but also gives everyone a different perspective of the weekend with images from many sets of eyes, creative approaches and experiences. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter (you can do this at the bottom of each website page) and keep up to date on all the latest news and information.
See the Hit me with your best shot! See. Snap. Share – Terms and Conditions below.
Hit me with your best shot! See. Snap. Share - Terms and ConditionsToggle Hit me with your best shot! See. Snap. Share - Terms and Conditions
Hit me with your best shot! The best of #oh_hobart 2023
See. Snap. Share – and you could win yourself some loot!
Share your pics of your favourite places, stories or events from this year’s program on Instagram or Facebook, using the hashtag #oh_hobart to enter this year’s photo competition.
Terms and conditions:
- Employees of the promoter and the related bodies corporate of the promoter and their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
- Entry is open to Australian residents only.
- Entrants must be 18 years or older of age.
- Entrants can enter as many photos as they like.
- Competition commences 11/11/2023 at 10 am (AEDT) and final entries close on Friday 1/12/2023 at 12 midnight (AEDT) .
- Photos can be shared on Instagram or Facebook anytime across this period, but photos need to have been taken over the Open House Hobart weekend (11-12 November 2023) and feature a building or event in this year’s program. Open House Hobart reserves the right to accept, reject or refuse an entry at any time. Open House Hobart does not accept responsibility for late or misdirected entries.
- To enter participants must tag either #oh_hobart in order to be in the draw to win and have made the photo set to public for viewing.
- If a photograph entered in the competition includes a close up image of a person other than the photographer, the photographer must guarantee that he or she has obtained all necessary permissions from that other person for the image to be used in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- Photos will be judged on the following criteria: (a) appeal of the composition and subject matter; (b) interpretation of the Open House Hobart program and/or building.
- Photos will judged in one of the six (6) competition categories below;
- Building Detail;
- People in Place,
- It’s a Dorney;
- Exterior; and
- Overall OHH23 winner.
- The winners will be notified via direct private messages on either Facebook or Instagram and the winners will be announced publicly via the Open House Hobart pages on Instagram or Facebook on Friday 8/12/2023.
- Prizes will be announced soon – stay tuned for details.
- All profiles need to be set to public in order for photos to be eligible in the competitions.
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram or Facebook.
- The promoter is Open House Hobart, auspiced by The Royal Australian Institute of Architects, trading as The Australian Institute of Architects 72 000 023 012 – Tas Chapter of 1/19A Hunter St, Hobart, Tasmania.
Ticket ConditionsToggle Ticket Conditions
Some buildings and tours require you to pre-book tickets. Please refer to building pages for specific building entry conditions. Tickets are free.
Your ticket gives you access to the spaces defined on the ticket, at the specified time, for a timed duration. Please review the options carefully before making your choice.
Please arrive on time as per your registered entry time – do not gather outside venues. If you are waiting to enter a building we ask you to maintain 1.5 metre distance from others. If you are late for your registered entry time you may not be permitted access to the building.
You will be greeted on arrival by one of our volunteers who will check your ticket and provide a welcome and safety briefing.
Open House Hobart and Open House Launceston reserve the right to refuse entry. Tickets are limited – if you are unable to attend please cancel your ticket via the link on your EventBrite tickets or contact us.
By registering, you agree to provide contact details so we can communicate with you about the event and contact trace if required.
Please be aware that by attending the Open House tours and events, you consent to filming and sound recording as an event attendee. By entering any event site, you agree to being filmed or photographed which may be used for marketing or promotional purposes. Please contact us if you have any question.
See. Snap. Share. Win.
Share your pics of your favourite places and the stories that go with them on Instagram or Facebook, using the hashtags #oh_hobart and #oh_launceston to enter this year’s photo competition. Stay tuned for a host of prizes.