Find answers to your questions about everything related to the Open House Hobart and Launceston programs.
What is Open House?Toggle What is Open House?
Open House Hobart (OHH) and Open House Launceston (OHL) are free, citywide celebrations of architecture, urban design, and our built environment.
Every November for Open House Hobart, buildings and projects – from infrastructure facilities to cultural spaces, work spaces to private residences – open their doors to the public for tours and talks with architects, urban designers, historians, preservationists, and city leaders.
The 2021 Open House Hobart program will have a weekend of buildings to explore on November 13-14, along with a number of events held either side of this. The program will launch in October – stay tuned and sign up to our mailing at the bottom of the website to be the first to hear further details!
Is Open House free?Toggle Is Open House free?
Yes! All building opens and tours across the Open House Hobart weekend are free. Some of the fringe events either side of the weekend have cover charges, but these are marked clearly on each event page.
What if I have booked tours and can no longer attend?Toggle What if I have booked tours and can no longer attend?
No problem! If you are no long able to attend, we would appreciate you cancelling your tickets so other people can book and enjoy the Open House Hobart program. Just find your original booking email confirmation (from either Eventbrite or Zoom) and cancel directly. If you are still having issues please contact us for assistance.
Can I reserve tickets for more than one tour?Toggle Can I reserve tickets for more than one tour?
Yes, you can reserve tickets for as many tours as you’d like, but you will be required to register for each tour separately and list full contact details of each individual. You may reserve up to two tickets per tour in one transaction. Note that the demand for reservations is immense, and spots are limited. Please make allowances for tours to run slightly over time, and for travel time between buildings.
Be considerate of others when booking – we want as many people as possible to be able to experience all that Open House Hobart has to offer!
When is the OHH weekend and when will you release the program for this year's event?Toggle When is the OHH weekend and when will you release the program for this year's event?
Open House Hobart is an annual festival that takes place every November. The ninth OHH will be held on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 November 2021. Tickets to buildings opens will be available after the program launch – stay tuned for more information, and sign up to our mailing list (see the link at the bottom of the web page) to be the first in the know!
A number of events take place either side of the OHH weekend – check the details on each listing on the website.
How do I sign up to volunteer?Toggle How do I sign up to volunteer?
Open House isn’t possible without our dedicated volunteers! To learn more about volunteer commitments and benefits, please email [email protected]
How can I enter the photography competition?Toggle How can I enter the photography competition?
Hit me with your best shot! See. Snap. Share
Each year we invite the public to capture images over the Open House Launceston and Open House Hobart program and enter shots into our photo competition via Instagram and Facebook. It’s a fun and easy way to get involved, but also gives everyone a different perspective of the weekend with images from many sets of eyes, creative approaches and experiences. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter (you can do this at the bottom of each website page) and keep up to date on all the latest news and information.
Check out previous images by searching the #oh_hobart and #oh_launceston hastags.
See below for terms and conditions.
Hit me with your best shot! See. Snap. Share - terms and conditionsToggle Hit me with your best shot! See. Snap. Share - terms and conditions
Hit me with your best shot! The best of #oh_hobart & #oh_launceston
See. Snap. Share. Win.
Share your pics of your favourite places and the stories that go with them from Open House Launceston on Instagram or Facebook, using the hashtags #oh_launceston or #oh_launceston2021 to enter this year’s photo competition.
We have a $100 voucher from your favourite local bookstore (Fullers or Petrarch’s depending on which end of the state you’re in) up for grabs!
Share your pics of your favourite places, stories or events from this year’s program on Instagram or Facebook, using the hashtag #oh_launceston or #oh_launceston2021 to enter this year’s photo competition.
Terms and conditions:
- Employees of the promoter and the related bodies corporate of the promoter and their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
- Entry is open to Australian residents only.
- Entrants must be 18 years or older of age.
- Entrants can enter as many photos as they like.
- Competition commences 28/08/2021 at 10am (AEST) and final entries close 1/10/2021 at midnight (AEST).
- Photos can be shared on Instagram or Facebook anytime across this period, but photos need to have been taken during the Open House Launceston event (28 August 2021) and feature a building or event (online or in person) in this year’s program. Open House Hobart reserves the right to accept, reject or refuse an entry at any time. Open House Hobart does not accept responsibility for late or misdirected entries.
- To enter participants must tag either #oh_launceston or #oh_launceston2021 in order to be in the draw to win and have made the photo set to public for viewing.
- If a photograph entered in the competition includes a close up image of a person other than the photographer, the photographer must guarantee that he or she has obtained all necessary permissions from that other person for the image to be used in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- Photos will be judged on the following criteria: (a) appeal of the composition and subject matter; (b) interpretation of the Open House Launceston program and/or building.
- The winner will be notified via direct private messages on either Facebook or Instagram and the winners will be announced publicly via the Open House Hobart pages on Instagram or Facebook on 08/10/2021.
- The prize is a $100 voucher from Fullers or Petrarch’s. Prizes are not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash.
- This competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram or Facebook.
- The promoter is Open House Hobart, auspiced by The Royal Australian Institute of Architects, trading as The Australian Institute of Architects 72 000 023 012 – Tasmanian Chapter, 1/19a Hunter St, Hobart, Tasmania.
Ticket conditionsToggle Ticket conditions
Some building require pre-booked tickets. Prior to visiting any buildings in the Open House Hobart and Open House Launceston programs, please refer to building pages for specific building entry conditions. Tickets are free.
Your ticket gives you access to the spaces defined on the ticket, at the specified time, for a timed duration. Please review the options carefully before making your choice.
Please arrive on time as per your registered entry time – do not gather outside venues. If you are waiting to enter a building we ask you to maintain 1.5 meter distance from others. If you are late for your registered entry time you may not be permitted access to the building.
You will be greeted on arrival by one of our volunteers who will check your ticket and provide a welcome and safety briefing.
Open House Hobart and Open House Launceston reserve the right to refuse entry. Tickets are limited – if you are unable to attend please cancel your ticket via the link on your EventBrite tickets or contact us.
By registering, you agree to provide contact details so we can communicate with you about the event and contact trace if required.
Please be aware that by attending the Open House tours and events, you consent to filming and sound recording as an event attendee. By entering any event site, you agree to being filmed or photographed which may be used for marketing or promotional purposes. Please contact us if you have any question.
Open House Launceston and Open House Hobart are COVID-19 safe eventsToggle Open House Launceston and Open House Hobart are COVID-19 safe events
We want everyone to enjoy themselves and the health and safety of all Open House attendees, tour leaders, volunteers and larger community is our top priority.
Open House has taken protective measures to make sure all events adhere to social distancing requirements and COVID-safe practices. Please follow the following event guidelines to ensure safety for all attendees, volunteers and staff.
All attendees are required to use the Check In TAS app when entering any program venue. Please download the app on your phone before you attend and stay home of you are feeling unwell or displaying symptoms of COVID-19.
During your visit, we ask that you maintain 1.5 metre social distancing and maintain a one-way directional flow, where possible. Hand sanitiser will be provided at each site.
Please DO NOT visit any Open House Hobart or Launceston venues if any of the following applies to you:
- you are unwell or have had flu-like symptoms in the past 14 days,
- have received a positive COVID-19 result,
- have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 in the past 14 days,
- have been in a State or Territory issued with a lockdown order,
- have been instructed to self-isolate or quarantine,
- are awaiting COVID-19 test results.
Please refer to the State Government website for more information. https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/keeping-yourself-safe/covid-safe-behaviours
See. Snap. Share. Win.
Share your pics of your favourite places and the stories that go with them on Instagram or Facebook, using the hashtags #oh_hobart and #oh_launceston to enter this year’s photo competition. Stay tuned for a host of prizes.