This significant site has been home to Tasmania’s Governors since 1858, a fine example of an early Victorian country house in neo-Gothic style and one of the largest of its type in Australia. But these tours focus on the surrounding gardens, ponds, paddocks, cottages and stables that comprise the rest of the estate. The gardens are regarded as among the finest private gardens from the Victorian era in Australia. They are thought to have been laid out by landscape gardener, William Thomas, in accordance with plans drawn up by the architect of Government House, William Porden Kay.
They have been maintained much as they were developed in the 1850s and 1860s and produce from the garden is still used in the Government House kitchen.
Address: Government House