Built between 1868 and 1936, St David’s Cathedral is widely regarded as the finest example outside England of the work of leading Victorian architect George Frederick Bodley. Built in the Gothic Revival style, Bodley’s plans were followed throughout the 68-year construction. The cathedral features old flags dating from the time when Tasmania stopped being a convict settlement, as well as stained glass windows, an arcaded entrance with a large west-facing window and buttressed turrets. Located on the corner of Macquarie and Murray Streets, the building is on the register of the National Estate.
Address: 23 Murray St, Hobart
Highlights: Ornate ecclesiastical architecture
Building specs: Type: Cathedral. Year Built: 1868–1936. Architects: George F. Bodley, Henry Hunter, Alan C. Walker